An Arvei Nachal Chumera

In my running joke about a Chumera of the Month Club, here is one I made up that people since started actually doing.

According to Sukkah 33b, “arvei nachal” is a species identifier. And 34a uses the plural “arvei” as a ribui to justify using aravos wherever they grow.

So the CotMC proposed that it “must” be better to buy aravos that actually grew alongside a nachal. I meant this as a joke.

Here is my point in posting to Avodah:

In my actual opinion, I would think that it’s far worse to say a derashah isn’t really valid. Think of how much Chazal were gozerim in order to shut down the Tzeduqi position. (But, thank G-d for chulent!)

But in reality, people are doing this – charging more and getting more for aravos with a certificate that they are nachal grown!

Just as one example, from a popular column on YWN at A Handy General Guide for the Arba Minim – The Yeshiva World :

(I don’t know what bullet YWN uses, but it isn’t in my font. That’s what my browser is showing as that diamond-? symbol.)